Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pencil Portraits


I don't just work in digital, I've recently been sharpening my pencils as a way to get back into traditional work, which is where I want to be. A small house with messy kids doesn't help in my journey, but as they get older I find myself eyeing bedrooms as a possible studio to stick my easel (currently residing in the attic) up in.

These are drawn from colour photos from a thread at Concept Art where members post pictures of themselves for others to practice on. Each one took about six hours and over a period of a couple of weeks I like to think I improved.

The first one is Ilaekye and was interested in getting the beard right as I'd been having problems with them on other work. The picture was just an ordinary snapshot.




Next up was Stoph. Another beard, but it was from a very nice photo and I hope I did it justice.






















This TAS. He posted a huge selection of expressions for everyone. The photo was flooded with flash making it flat. I had tried a number of times over the last year to draw him in different medium, but this is the first time I think I actually caught 'him'. Or maybe I just got better.













No comments: